Wednesday, May 18, 2005

First look at the All-Stars

sporting goods

So while listening to the drubbing that the Red Sox are currently getting, I had to divert my Red Sox attention to something a bit more uplifting, and I found it.

I just realized that Mr. Francona will be the manager of the AL All-Stars this year! No more complaining about Torre bringing 24 Yankees! No more seeing deserving guys from Boston being left at home!

All-Star selections happens to be one of my favorite things to think about and gripe about, despite it having no meaning. It's more fun to argue that than it is to just dissect the latest Red Sox loss. I started thinking about which Sox could make the trip to (gulp) Detroit this July, and to do that I first thought I'd take a look at who the All-Star starters should be in the AL this year, after one-quarter of the season has been played.

My selections are an unscientific combination of runs created and runs created per 27 outs this year, with some weight given to prior performance, mostly as a tie-breaker. I would be more scientific or consistent, but hey there is 6 more weeks for things to change. So first of all, here is the deserving AL squad, and the "top alternatives," which is merely the guys who at least got some consideration before being passed over.

C: Jason Varitek
1B: Mike Sweeney
2B: Brian Roberts
SS: Miggy Tejada
3B: A-Rod
OF: Gary Sheffield, Trot Nixon, Johnny Damon
DH: David Ortiz

Not far off: Carlos Guillen, Justin Morneau, David Delluci, Ichiro!, Vlad, Manny

Thoughts
  • How good is the AL East right now? 8 of the 9 batters should come from there.
  • We know that Nixon and Damon will lose to Ichiro! and either Matsui or Vlad. Actually, those 3 might be the choices based on fan vote, with my deserving 3 being knocked out.
  • Realistically, the need to get some players on the team from the Devil Rays and Blue Jays will influence the decisions, but it really looks like the Sox could get 5 batters on the team.
  • I would love to see Tito bring Wakefield as well, and he could definitely make the case for Arroyo.
In the end, I will be really disappointed if Wakefield doesn't make the squad. He's a guy that can really help the team win, since he can pitch in any type of situation (and could go long if need be). You just hope that Varitek and Toby Hall (or whoever makes the team) are able to catch his pitches.

1 Comments:

Blogger Chill said...

Man, I have no idea how anybody is doing since I stopped doing fantasy baseball and got busy at work. Trot Nixon. Wow.

Wednesday, May 18, 2005 6:27:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home