Tuesday, November 22, 2005

What is a Democrat?

Manifesto

So I've been more of a visitor than a contributor here for the last month or more. Thanks to Sergio for holding down the fort with what is so far the definitive moment in this blog's short history. And welcome to Monocle from In One Eye. He authored the first blog I ever read and is the reason I wanted to blog in the first place. (See the short lived Things that keep me up at night.) I could not be more honored that he is willing to contibute to this site.

One of the reasons for my incredible lack of posts has been my utter disillusionment with it all. There has been so much to talk about but never is it positive. Every day it just seems like the same mistakes are being made again and again. I've completely lost all capacity to criticize (quite an acheivement) because the criticism never leads anywhere. What's the point, right? Bush is an idiot. Obviously. Cheney supports torture. Really? Collectively the leadership is turning this country into an unrecognizable shell of its former self. Most striking is the fact that this administration has stolen the less objectionable pages from the Stalinist playbook (and occasionally some of the more objectionable). (Disclaimer: I do no think the Bushies are Stalinist, nor do I think they are as vile as Stalin. Thanks for not taking this out of context.) All of this is well-known. And none of it seemed to matter much.

It used to be that I thought the Democratic Party could be successful just by pointing all of this out; that America just didn't know, that Democrats should simply pull back the curtain and expose the "wizard." That has been done thanks not to Democrats but to a natural disaster and public's own realization that they were lied to about Iraq. And now Democrats have finally started to do what they should have been doing all along and attack the rot at the core of this administration. Good for us.

But I'm afraid that the delay in doing so tells us a lot about the modern Democratic Party. The Democratic Party lacks vision (and possibly courage since it took this long to stand up. It is quite easy to kick the bully when he is already on the ground.). Until recently when I would hear others say this I would object. I would point out all the obvious differences. But now, I think I was wrong.

Look, I know what I believe in. And the reality is that I'm a Democrat for one reason. The individual candidates that run for election and come closest to my views also happen to be Democrats. That is the reason. It has to be. Because when you think about it, other than Anybody But Bush, what is the Democratic platform? Oh we have ideas, but the Democratic Party expresses all of its ideas in some form of, "Aren't the Republicans horrible for doing X?" Lately, it seems like the Democrats can't define themselves without the Republicans. And that just makes me sad. Democrats need to be Democrats, not "not Republicans."

In short, Democrats need to find a vision and they need to promote that vision not in the first instance as a way to point out differences with the G.O.P. but as a way to point out what the Democrats believe this country is, what it represents, and what it could do if Democrats were in charge. This will necessarily be in opposition to the Republicans. That is to be expected and to be welcomed. But I think we need to stop saying, "Look the Republicans are horrible, we would be different." Democrats need to say, "This is what we believe in. Look at how the Republicans are destroying what we believe in. Why the hell would you ever want to vote for a Republican?" I think there is a subtle but distinct difference. The contrast remains. The whiny-ness is cut out.

So here is what I'm going to try to do. I'm going to try to post ideas for the Democratic Party's positive vision. These ideas are going to be rough and rudimentary. They are going to lack proper sourcing and be based solely on conjecture and my belief in how the world works. They will likely expose more of my ignorance than anything else. They may also be outlandish and mostly impossible. But hopefully they will get us all thinking about who Democrats are, what we believe in, and what this Country could do if we were in charge. I hope to post every time and good idea comes to me. So, unlike Sergio, I don't expect this to be a daily endeavor. And I invite anybody who wishes to do the same. Hopefully this will be something to get us talking and will be a way for me (us) to define our beliefs and the reason for those beliefs. And for that reason, maybe this post isn't about the Democrats lack of vision, but my own. This may be more of a chance for me to debate with myself (and anybody who wishes to comment or post) and try to justify what I believe it.

6 Comments:

Blogger Nathan said...

I have a question. (I've really enjoyed your site by the way. Good work to each of the contributers).

You say that you're a Democrat because of the sole reason that the candidates who are Dems have come closest to your views. However, you also say that the Democrats have been unable to express their views or ideas other than the view that the Republicans are horrible. So, how do you know the candidates you support actually do best represent your views?

In the last presidential election, I never really understood John Kerry's views. In fact, I agree with you completely that the only view expressed that I could grasp was "whatever Bush is doing, I'm going to do the opposite", which may have been a good thing in several areas but never expressed what John's vision was and what he wanted to do from his own ideas.

Just so you know, I voted mostly Republican in the last major election, but I looked for a reason to not vote for Bush. However, my views lean more towards Libertarian in the sense that I'd like government to take a backseat in just about every area of peoples' lives - both social (as with traditional dems) and financial (as with traditional reps).

I'd love to hear your response here, and I look forward to your future posts on your vision for the future of the Democratic party.

Tuesday, November 22, 2005 12:14:00 PM  
Blogger Chill said...

Thanks for the comments, Nathan. I think you brought up a pointn that was was unclear in my midnight rambling. Most of the candidates I vote for express views similar to mine. The problem I find with the Democratic Party is that there is no organzation to many of these views. Each candidate expresses their view but the party never coalesces these expressions into a meaningful platform or vision.

The problem is pretty much the Will Rogers' description, "I'm not a member of any organized Party. I'm a Democrat."

Tuesday, November 22, 2005 1:00:00 PM  
Blogger Nathan said...

Jesus said to give to Caesar what is Caesar's and to God what is God's. He didn't confront the government in any way, but called on the church to take care of the poor, sick, and old.

I did not say that I agreed with Badnarik - in fact I probably disagree with him on social issues more than any other party leader. However, as party platforms go on a very general level, I think the platform of less government allows me as a follower of Christ more freedom to follow the call of God and in fact would make it more necessary that I take on that responsibility because I wouldn't be passing that buck - both figuratively and literally - to the government. So, I absolutely agree with FDR in the point of need, but I think it a mistake to take this on as a government and remove it from the grassroots church community to whom it was instructed by God. Because this has taken place, I think efficiency has been lost, resources are wasted, and most regretably Christians have become lazy and lost the vision of their directive because they know the government has taken it over.

If you've read enough to see my personal description, you've seen that I have a blog of my own. Even though it's fairly young, there are a couple of posts on there that will tell you I'm not the stereotypical radical religious right person. In fact, I'm still exploring what I believe to be the right path when I look at political issues through what I believe to be a true Christian perspective. I merely wanted to inform you of my past voting experience in the same breath that I said I was looking for a reason not to necessarily vote that way.

Tuesday, November 22, 2005 6:29:00 PM  
Blogger Nathan said...

Monocle, Thanks for your response. I definitely see your point and understand that we live in a world where we unfortunately can't expect enough people, even good christians, to voluntarily give their time, money, and attention to meet the people's needs. As I say, that is unfortunate.

Libertarian may or may not be the best political philosophy to have. It probably is not for all issues. My problem is that I don't think the current views of the Democrats are correct, nor much of those of the Reps. I do believe our government is overly bloated and has their nose in far more than they need to have it in...much more than merely caring for personal welfare. Both parties have done enough to put me off lately that I've started looking elsewhere.

I hope you don't mind my following your site and chiming in every once in a while. My interest actually peaked when I saw your personal description of a blue state liberal christian. I'm always interested in hearing other opinions and exploring all sides of an issue as well as the the opportunity to discuss.

Wednesday, November 23, 2005 10:53:00 AM  
Blogger Nathan said...

I forgot to mention that I believe greatly in the Matt 25 passage, which is why it's spotlighted on my site. I believe God calls me personnally to serve in each of those areas, which is why I go on mission trips that are not mere evangelization but are service driven (medical clinics, outreaches to the poor, etc), why I participate in prison ministries, why I was an active financial supporter as well as volunteer when our church invited in strangers displaced by the recent hurricanes, why I try to visit the sick. To me, this is truly the final exam and I need to be sure that I am active in them all at a greater extent than merely saying "I pay my taxes" or even "I give in the church offering".

Wednesday, November 23, 2005 11:00:00 AM  
Blogger Chill said...

I'm actually a little frightened. I may need a little help.

Wednesday, November 23, 2005 2:30:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home