Sunday, June 03, 2007

Midsummer Classic

SPORTING GOODS

While cramping up from the lengthy sitting required for yesterday's Sox-Yanks game that ended after 8pm, I decided to hop on mlb.com and vote for the all-star game. I'm one who likes to vote for those guys who I think most "deserve" to go based on what they've done this year, though in the end I know it doesn't really matter.

But I found myself on many of the positions unable to pick a guy who has really stood out this year, especially with Kevin Youkilis reserved to write-in status (thanks to no DH slot and David Ortiz on the ballot at first).

The reason why I had trouble was made a bit clearer when I saw that Hardball Times had (finally) introduced the 2007 Win Shares standings. Here are the top 5 guys in each league so far. Maybe I should just vote for my favorite players this year:

AL
1. Vlad Guerrero
2. Orlando Cabrera
3. Grady Sizemore
4. Magglio Ordonez
5. B. J. Upton

NL
1. JJ Hardy
2. Russell Martin
3. Jose Reyes
4. Prince Fielder
5. Kelly Johnson

And not to kill my own point, but I did actually vote for all of those guys on the AL ballot without seeing the Win Shares standings. Didn't do quite as hot in the NL, but really who wants to vote for a guy who is a. on the Atlanta Braves and b. named Kelly?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home