Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Ouch

Whatever

This is just ridiculous:
NEW YORK - A wall-mounted gadget designed to drive away loiterers with a shrill, piercing noise audible only to teens and young adults is infuriating civil liberties groups and tormenting young people after being introduced into the United States.

Almost 1,000 units of the device, called the Mosquito, have been sold in the United States and Canada after the product debuted last year, according to Daniel Santell, the North America importer of the device sold under the company name Kids Be Gone.
The lesson, as always, is that all teens are criminals. Of course, it is more annoying because, despite being nearly 30, listening to music during my commute for the last ten years, and having a family history of hearing loss, I can hear this noise. Try it and let me know if you can.

5 Comments:

Blogger monocle said...

No way.

I didn't think these tired ears would be able to pick it up, and I was right.

Thursday, April 24, 2008 8:11:00 AM  
Blogger Darlucky said...

really interesting. i can hear it no problem.

it would definitely be a good move for stores to drive away 30 year olds, they aren't a key spending demographic at all

Thursday, April 24, 2008 9:12:00 AM  
Blogger Chill said...

I've since read that some of the tones available on the internet are easier to hear than others. Maybe I found and easy one... Sorry Monocle.

Thursday, April 24, 2008 9:53:00 AM  
Blogger Chill said...

And here's a better site. http://www.freemosquitoringtones.org/

Thursday, April 24, 2008 11:28:00 AM  
Blogger monocle said...

No need to apologize. I know my hearing's going.

And Mrs. Monocle would certainly testify to it.

Thursday, April 24, 2008 2:50:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home