Saturday, August 08, 2009

Hard to know whom to root against

MANIFESTO

Item:
Back in the fall of 2008, the conservative Christian group the Alliance Defense Fund (ADF) organized "Pulpit Freedom Sunday," a sort-of civil disobedience event for which pastors were encouraged to use their pulpits to endorse John McCain and challenge IRS regulations prohibiting such political activity by tax-exempt institutions. Now, in a somewhat surprising move, the IRS has informed some of the several dozen churches that participated that they are no longer under investigation.
Given the fact that I've recently received a letter from the Insane Revenue Service regarding taxes I don't owe, I'm displeased that the offending (and offensive) churches aren't being pursued to pay the appropriate fines and taxes.

Even though "the ADF has announced plans to hold another Pulpit Freedom Sunday on September 27," I don't think the IRS will do anything about it—all of which leads me a bit perplexed as to why I'm being pursued for no good reason.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home