Friday, May 21, 2010

The logical extreme of libertarianism

MANIFESTO

In the right's pursuit of governmental non-intervention, a view like this is inevitable:
In an interview on ABC News’ Good Morning America today, host George Stephanopoulos pressed GOP Kentucky Senate candidate Rand Paul on “how far” he would “push” his anti-government views.

[In response,] Paul defended BP’s response to the Gulf of Mexico oil spill last month and attacked the Obama administration’s crackdown on the oil giant as “really un-American“:

"... What I don’t like from the president’s administration is this sort of, you know, 'I’ll put my boot heel on the throat of BP.' I think that sounds really un-American in his criticism of business. I’ve heard nothing from BP about not paying for the spill. And I think it’s part of this sort of blame game society in the sense that it’s always got to be someone’s fault. Instead of the fact that maybe sometimes accidents happen."
I don't believe these morons (and, of course, I'm including the former governor of the country's largest state) will ever understand that the makeup of the society is such that government must get involved in episodes of this type. It's as if the Fourteenth Amendment never existed for these idiots.

Cripes, if one wants to do his own thing rather than have the government get involved, he'd better be prepared to put out his own house fire.

UPDATE — Steve Benen elucidates.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home