Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Boycott Time Warner! (Sort Of)

SPORTING GOODS

For those of you who cannot watch the Mets because of the Time Warner-Cablevision dispute, I encourage you to take action. As a Time Warner subscriber, I have only been able to watch four games all season. Two on channel 11, one at a bar, and another at Shea Stadium. It sucks.

I recently called TW to express my displeasure. They apologized to me and tried to remind me that over 60 games(!) are going to be broadcast on weekends, including all against the Yankees. They also informed me that they would be giving me a refund of $2 a month(!) for the inconvenience this has caused me. They also said they would be carrying all Met games in 2006(!) on the new Mets network.

I told them that 60 game is fine, but they are screwing me on 102. I told them that giving me a refund of $.10 for every game they don't show is borderline insulting. I told them I don't care about the new Met network next year, I only care about tonight's game. I also told them that if I could, I would switch to any other competitor. Unfortunately, in my area of Manhattan, TW holds a monopoly on cable and satellite is not an option in my building. The best I could do is cancel my HBO. It's not much, but it's $8 a month that is not going into their pockets.

If you are also affected by this fight between two mega-corporations and feel like you are being held hostage, I encourage you to call TW and let them have it. If you have something you can cancel, please do it. Or better yet, switch to another provider. RCN operates in many of the same areas of New York City as Time Warner. This has to stop.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home