Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Off the Bandwagon?

Sporting Goods

Unlike Willie Randolph (who I still dislike to my very core), I have always been a cheerleader for the Jose Reyes fan club. I figured he was young and would figure it all out and that he just needs time. I still think that. But right now it is getting awfully tough to watch him play. He's the fastest man in baseball but right now he hits the ball in the air almost as much as he hits it on the ground. And it is just killing the Mets.

If he could just hit more line drives and groundballs, he would be a serious threat. For example on Monday, he almost single-handedly won the Mets the game with an infield chopper for a hit and then a stolen base, eventually to score the go-ahead run on a single.

I know I need to be patient and I know that this Mets team isn't going to win this year unless something dramatic happens (please trade Ishii and Glavine -- get something for them -- plus you have two better, younger pitchers just wasting away in the bullpen or the minors, ah I'm getting started on that again) but I need to see improvement. That isn't happening. He seems to be regressing.

Ahh, the dangers of a young team. Lots of potential, waiting for it all to come together is sometimes painful.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home