Friday, August 19, 2005

End the MRE

Sporting Goods

I will admit to being a huge homer. After the last day of fantasy baseball, you would see me waive nearly all of my players and pick up all Red Sox, just to see them on my team. My English Premiere League fantasy team (yes, I have one), has four Americans on it, even though they are not top-tier players. I root for baseball players born in Connecticut no matter what team they are on.

But enough is enough. It's time to cut Mike Remlinger. In five games with the Sox, he has posted an ERA of 21.21, with a WHIP of 3.64. Batters are batting .444 against him. It takes him nearly 7 batters to get through an average inning. Even though he went to my beloved alma mater, he has got to go.

The Sox have a number of promising young fireballers in the minors, including Manny Delcarmen, who would certainly fare better than Remlinger. I am not saying that any of these guys will be the Mariano Rivera (1996) or the Fransisco Rodriguez (2002) of 2005, but they have a chance to make a meaningful impact on the Red Sox bullpen. And the Mike Remlinger Experiment has already proven to be a failure.

I'm sure Mike is very smart, so it may be time for him to start his post-playing career. I'm sure he's brighter than everyone on ESPN's former Phillie crew (Brantley, Kruk, Bowa).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home