Tuesday, August 30, 2005

A Wee Bit of Overstatement

Whatever

So I understand the region has just been devastated by one of the most disasterous hurricanes in history, but this quote from the Mayor of Biloxi seems to be a little overstated:
"This is our tsunami," Biloxi Mayor A.J. Holloway told the Biloxi Sun Herald newspaper, referring to the December 26, 2004, tsunami that killed more than 226,000 people in the Indian Ocean region.
Especially when you consider that, so far, the estimated death toll is 68. Even if the destruction is comparable, which from what I read and see it is not, the comparison is completely inappropriate and makes me extremely sad.

4 Comments:

Blogger Yossarian said...

Hey, I almost got hit by a rickshaw once. I could have broken a toe!

Tuesday, August 30, 2005 2:14:00 PM  
Blogger Darlucky said...

Great points Moosesox.

Hurricanes are horrible, truly horrible. But the knowledge that it is coming reduces the terror at least for me. I'm much more scared of the randomness of say, a tornado.

Tuesday, August 30, 2005 4:03:00 PM  
Blogger Yossarian said...

Which is why the tsunami was all that much more devastating.

Tuesday, August 30, 2005 5:16:00 PM  
Blogger Chill said...

I agree with you to a point O. That's why I tempered my original criticism somewhat. It still seems a little callous. Of course we don't know what comes after the comma in the quote. It could be the answer.

Tuesday, August 30, 2005 7:02:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home