Wednesday, September 07, 2005

What do the Mets and the Executive Branch have in common?

Sporting Goods

The overarching belief that if you say something enough times, then it must be true.

President Bush says, "We solve problems. We're problem solvers."

Willie Randolph says, "Braden Looper is my closer. He closes games."

Actually, Willie he doesn't. Left-handers are hitting over .300 against him this season with a .964 OPS(!), making him the worst possible closer. And he blew yet another big game. Let's see: opening day, game against the Yankees, 5-run lead against the Pirates, tonight's big game against the Braves. Those are four I remember off the top of my head. How many have there been? 6. 6 blown saves. Notice the pattern though. All big spots.

God I hate Braden Looper. I hope Tom Glavine takes him out tonight. (Notice I wrote "take him out." That doesn't necessarily mean kill. I learned that from Pat Robertson.)

Well, at least Willie finally stopped playing Cairo and started playing a Matsui who at least has potential and can learn something at the end of the season. Thank heaven for small miracles.

UPDATE (by Chill 10:16): Wow, the Mets got Looper a lead. And Looper gave up a first pitch single and then hit a batter, then walked the bases loaded. God I hate this guy. Of course, Willie has Shingo Takatsu warming in the pen. That makes me feel so much better.

UPDATE (by Chill 10:31): Mets lose. Thanks Takatsu. I hate you Willie.

Update (by Chill 8:54 A.M): I was making up that Willie quote last night. But from today's New York Daily News:
Randolph had no reservations about sending Looper back out for redemption. "We have to win the game and he's my closer," the manager said.

2 Comments:

Blogger Darlucky said...

I can't blame Takatsu in the slightest for that one. Ok, maybe in the slightest, but he never should have had to clean up such a big mess.

I know you can't get 2 blown saves in one game, but if there was ever a case for it, last night's game was it.

As a second-tier Mets fan, I can't remember a game in the last 2 years that was more upsetting.

Thursday, September 08, 2005 8:47:00 AM  
Blogger Yossarian said...

With a (now) seemingly impossible series in St. Louis, I think it may be time for me to enjoy my evenings watching DVDs and just checking the score on the internets before I go to bed. In many ways, it is a bit of relief. I'll be a lot less stressed when my head hits the pillow.

At least I know this year was better than last year because I swtiched them off last year in July. This year I made it to September!

Thursday, September 08, 2005 10:14:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home