Tuesday, April 18, 2006

I Spy a Finale

UNIVERSAL REMOTE

For the last five years, Jennifer Garner has been my TV girlfriend. What exactly does this mean? It means that if I could be with any woman currently on television (and had never met my wife), it would be Jennifer Garner. It is not just a sex thing, although she is obviously sexy. It's about attraction which is more complicated. Needless to say, I'd put her #1 in my speed-dial if the opportunity arose. Which it never will.

So set your TiVos everybody because Alias finally returns for its final run tomorrow at 8:00. Despite some major missteps in the last few seasons, Alias is still one of my favorite all-time shows. I still remember the joy of the first episode where bad-ass secret agent Sydney Bristow slinked around in that famous red hair kicking bad-guy butt. Too bad she is not even the best character on the show.

That would be Victor Garber's Jack Bristow. He is one of my three or four favorite TV characters of all time, right up there with Jack Bauer, Tony Soprano, and Dale Cooper. Garber is a terrific minimalist. With his furrowed brow and clipped enunciation, he makes Jack a riviting character without a lot of pyrotechnics. But when he does lose his temper, watch out. I will especially miss his scenes with Lena Olin's duplicitous ex-wife Irina Durevko. They were full of more undercurrents than you can count.

In any case, the final eight hours of Alias will start tomorrow with a two-hour episode and end May 24 with a two-hour finale. In between, Weiss, Vaughn, Will and Irina will all be back for final appearances. I'd love it if Francie popped up but I can't remember if she is dead or not. (Not that this matters on Alias.) Alias was not a perfect show. But when it was clicking (like in the first two seasons), it was truly perfect entertainment.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

the best was when she pretended to be a whore on that private jet.

-O

Tuesday, April 18, 2006 3:35:00 PM  
Blogger Yossarian said...

That was the post-Super Bowl episode. I remember her John having her change lingerie because he wanted a different color or something. Just another excuse to show some skin.

Tuesday, April 18, 2006 3:39:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would like to draw attention to the fact that Chill had an unexpected encounter with Mr. Garber in Sag Harbor, NY. Brush with greatness.

Wednesday, April 19, 2006 12:45:00 PM  
Blogger Yossarian said...

I know of this brush but I chose to remain discreet in deference to my affection to everyone involved.

Wednesday, April 19, 2006 3:17:00 PM  
Blogger Chill said...

Brush indeed. Probably the closest I've ever come to a "celebrity" and I didn't notice until pointed out by a friend.

But really, at that point he was "the guy from Titanic." Not Jack Bristow. It wasn't like he's Muhammed Ali.

Thursday, April 20, 2006 3:08:00 PM  
Blogger Yossarian said...

Ahhhhh, but I know I read somewhere that Francie is coming back. We'll see...

Friday, April 21, 2006 5:25:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home