Thursday, June 22, 2006

Yankees go home

SPORTING GOODS

Well that sucked. Luckily as a Red Sox fan I’ve felt this bad after a sporting event many times before, most recently Game 3 of the 2004 Yanks-Sox ALCS. But at least I didn’t have to go directly to the office afterwards after that letdown.

Here’s my 3 words or less review of the key components of the US World Cup 3 and out.

Kasey Keller – left helpless.
Eddie Pope – Retire
Oguchi Onyewu – Ready for premiership
Steve Cherundolo – Impressed
Eddie Lewis – Nicely done
Jimmy Conrad – Fine substitute
Carlos Bocanegra – One huge mistake
DaMarcus Beasley – No heart
Clint Dempsey – My new favorite
Pablo Mastroeni – Whatever
Claudio Reyna – Hit or miss
Landon Donovan – Played scared
Eddie Johnson – Underused, but lazy
Brian McBride – Lonely

Bruce Arena – Overrated. Outcoached. Unemployed.

Refs – Horrible. Card happy.

Dave O’Brien (announcer) – Clueless and annoying
Marcelo Balboa (announcer) – Didn't muzzle O’Brien
Eric Wynalda and Julie Foudy (ESPN studio) – right on

In the end we had a killer group, yes, but if we can’t beat Ghana then we don’t deserve to make the next round. If we only score one goal ourselves, then we don't deserve to make the next round.

I’m sure I’ll have one or two more things to say about the World Cup before it ends, but my heart won’t be in it.

3 Comments:

Blogger Chill said...

Big time disappointment.

Didn't get to see the match. Was the penalty shot justified? Was that Bocanegra's one big mistake. All the analysis I've read is pretty poor.

P.S. - If I thought the world cup refs were bad on Saturday, I thought the NBA refs were criminals in Game 5 and 6 of the NBA Finals. Just stole possessions and games for the Heat. Criminal. To think I used to be a HUGE NBA fan. Now I don't even watch the playoffs and when I follow the last two games of the finals, I'm disgusted.

Thursday, June 22, 2006 2:39:00 PM  
Blogger Darlucky said...

Bocanegra's mistake was huge, instead of kicking the ball out he basically headed it to himself (with a man right on him), then popped it up to the middle of the box where Onyewu and the Ghanaian (who had the awesome name Pimpong) were left to jump ball for it.

Onyewu should probably get called for a regular foul in midfield as he had his hand on the guy's shoulder. but there's no way pimpong can get to that ball, and there's no way you can give them a penalty shot for that.

The US had the momentum heading towards half time, that absolutely destroyed it.

Thursday, June 22, 2006 3:16:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bocanegra learned a hard lesson.

Pimpong ain't easy.

-O

Thursday, June 22, 2006 6:43:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home