Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Always room for one more

SPORTING GOODS

The rebirth of my interest in soccer came from me starting to watch and follow the English Premier League (EPL), which helped me really get into the World Cup. I realize for most people it's the other way around, and I'm sure everyone is shocked - SHOCKED - that it wasn't MLS that rekindled the flame.

Anyway, a couple years late but still admirably, ESPN's Sports Guy has decided that he has been missing out, and invited readers to recommend which team he should throw his support behind. Kind of a fun task when you have no geographical or historical reason to root for any team, and you can start from scratch.

You can read all about his selection process and see the early cuts here. Actually, when he first announced the task, I predicted three teams that he would choose between, and in the end those were his final 3. You can read about his final decision here.

The nice thing for me is, while Simmons has been one of my favorite writers in part because of his focus on the Red Sox, Patriots, and Celtics, he somehow went ahead and picked my EPL team as well. So, for those that want to know just what he's talking about when he writes the occasional column on the EPL this year, there is plenty of room on the bandwagon!