Friday, July 14, 2006

Classic

SPORTING GOODS

Some observations from SNY's rebroadcast of the Mets 3-2 victory over Atlanta on September 21, 2001. As you may remember, it was the first baseball game played in NYC after the 9/11 attacks.
  • The great Bobby Valentine screaming his head off at the end of Diana Ross' rendition of "God Bless America."
  • The Mets wearing NYPD and NYFD hats instead of their normal caps.
  • Ken Caminiti starting at third base for Atlanta.
  • A spry 42-year-old Julio Franco playing in his first season back in the MLB after being exiled to Japan and Mexico.
  • "U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!"
  • Rudy Giuliani, at the height of his popularity, watching from behind home plate.
  • Police and firemen dancing behind Liza Minelli's singing "New York, New York" during the 7th inning stretch.
  • Mike Piazza crushing a low-and-away pitch off the camera stand for a go-ahead home run in the eighth inning.
Without a doubt, it was one of the most emotional home runs I have ever seen. For the fans at Shea, it wasn't just exciting, it was cathartic. I remember getting choked up when I saw it in '01 and I couldn't help getting choked up again last night.

4 Comments:

Blogger Chill said...

And I think our own Darlucky was there.

Friday, July 14, 2006 11:47:00 AM  
Blogger Darlucky said...

Yeah, I was in fact one of the lucky ones there - of course buying that ticket in March I had no idea what that game would become...I watched the same re-broadcast the other night even though I had been looking forward to a night off from baseball.

It was by far the most memorable and emotional sporting event I've ever been to. When Piazza hit that homer, it was sheer pandemonium in the stadium, strangers hugging and jumping up and down together and just yelling and chanting until everyones voices ran out.

It was really awesome that they chose that game to show during the all-star break doldrums.

Well done SNY.

My two other memories to add from that game:

-Everyone loved NY, and in turn we loved all of America (at that point). We even politely clapped for the Braves as they were introduced, because it just felt weird to be negative. Until Chipper was announced, at which point everyone still booed lustily. Had to feel terrible for Larry.

-There were a number of USA chants throughout the game (I missed the first 5 innings of the replay), but the funniest had to be the one that started after Piazza's homer. It's as if the Braves were the Soviets or something.

Great stuff Sergio, what a game.

Friday, July 14, 2006 12:22:00 PM  
Blogger Chill said...

I listened to that game, watching it on ESPN's gamecast on my dial up modem while living in Boston and was then lucky enough to get a call from Darlucky explaining the significance. I remember running around like a certifiable loon, in my 200 sq. ft. studio apartment.

The only other time I remember being that excited about a Mets game was this game. Check out the 8th inning. Certain readers and contributors might remember.

Friday, July 14, 2006 1:08:00 PM  
Blogger Darlucky said...

stupid bobby cox...shouldn't have taken out millwood that night!

for some reason i remember that game being on july 11th, not june 30th. oh well, think i'll still remember it that way, it's more fun.

Friday, July 14, 2006 1:53:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home