Sunday, May 06, 2007

Setting the Records Straight

SPORTING GOODS

There's a commercial on the YES network that has annoyed me for a few years. Michael Kay, in his usual pompous manner, asserts:

"The New York Yankees, the most renowned sports franchise in the world, have won more championships than any team in the history of sports."

Now, on its face I think the championships claim is a dumb one. "The history of sports?" Was there not some Mayan Stone-ball team that won every year? Didn't someone like Sparta dominate the boar-killing competitions? But even if you want to focus on "real" and "modern" sports. I was pretty sure that claim couldn't be true.

Turns out I was right. With about 3 minutes of research I found that Real Madrid has won the Spanish soccer league 29 times. And that doesn't count the 43 other major trophies they have won, since it's not fair to compare baseball with soccer in that regard.

I haven't been able to find a poll confirming my belief that Manchester United and a few other European giants are more "renonwed" than the Yankees, but I'll stand by it anyway. I do know that Man U and Real Madrid get much more money internationally from endorsement deals.

But anyway, official proof that Michael Kay is wrong once again, and should shut up, which I impolitely yell for him to do several times a night.

2 Comments:

Blogger monocle said...

For provincial Americans, the notion of including a mere futbol team in a count of this type is anathema.

And for a provincial New Yorker such as Mr. Kay, such inclusion isn't even worthy of consideration.

Monday, May 07, 2007 8:10:00 AM  
Blogger Darlucky said...

so as to not belittle my point, i only looked at "first-tier" soccer leagues.


Rangers in Scotland have won the Scottish League 51 times since 1890.

Monday, May 07, 2007 1:20:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home