Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Freedom Grill

Whatever

I saw an add for this while I was at Yankee Stadium a couple of weeks ago. Its the "Freedom Grill." The Freedom Grill is a grill that attaches to the tailgate of a truck or SUV. Basically, its a grill to take to the game for tailgating, but that can permanently be attached to the car. (Thankfully, it appears that the propane tank must first be removed.)

For what it's worth, I actually don't have a problem with the idea. The name, though, that's another story. Haven't we gotten past the point of attaching "Freedom" to something in a lame attempt to show our patriotism/nationalism while marketing our products? I guess not. I actually find it comical. Just like I find the "United We Stand Deli" around the corner from me, with its absurd American flag awning, funny. (Of course, that might just be a cultural overreaction in the wake of 9/11, much like the Afghan restaurant in "Andy Barker P.I." Yes, I watched that show.) Anyway, after forgetting about it for a couple of days, I decided to check out the website. That's when the comical became absurd. Now I get that with a name like Freedom Grill, I should have expected the logo to involve an eagle. But this is the Freedom Grill logo:

And for some reason, it reminds me more of this:
than this:

which I would hazard a guess is what the makers were going for. Nevertheless, given the lame nationalism/patriotism the makers were going for with a name like Freedom Grill, I find the "mistake" more than a little ironic.

2 Comments:

Blogger monocle said...

Ein Volk, ein Reich, ein Freedom Grill?

Thursday, May 29, 2008 9:24:00 AM  
Blogger Yossarian said...

Ich bin ein Freedomer.

Friday, May 30, 2008 4:52:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home