Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Yankee Overhaul Part 2

sporting goods

As I've gone missing the last couple days, you can probably guess I'm getting killed at work. But I will take some time while I enjoy my six inch turkey sub (not melted, no double meat, doesn't anyone have any questions about me?) to give some quick thoughts.

As far as centerfielders go, Bernie Williams was among the worst in the AL last year, in terms of fielding. Although Matsui does not have Bernie's range, I actually expect him to be a slight upgrade at the all important centerfield position. Then again, the downgrade from Matsui to Womack will more than cancel that out. Then throw in that this new kid is no Tony Womack at second, and I would guess you've got about one extra loss expected from the team, due to fielding. (based on a very rough Win Shares estimate).

Offensively, as O said in comments, you are essentially replacing 1/2 Giambi and 1/2 Bernie with 1 full Robinson Cano. At this point, Williams and Giambi combined are probably nothing more than "league average," as sad as that sounds, and it's probably only Giambi's incredible number of walks that lifts them to that point. So all Cano needs to do is hit slightly better than league average.

If he can hit on the level of a Juan Uribe (.280, 25 doubles, 45 walks), then the whole move is probably a push. And I suspect it probably will be, with the added benefit of getting a young kid some time, shaking things up, and viewers having to watch less Giambi.

Now if Torre would stop putting anyone besides Jeter, A-Rod, Sheffield, and Matsui in the top four slots in his lineup, maybe he could actually maximize the production.

But none of this masks the real problem, and if you don't know what that is you didn't see Kevin Brown's first inning last night.

1 Comments:

Blogger Darlucky said...

O, you just made me choke on my bagel.

No Hispanics, just your standard busride to Albuquerque

Thursday, May 05, 2005 9:42:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home