Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Sorry, I have to do it

Manifesto

Wow, the media is really just that racist.

Screw my nitpicking about inappropriate comparisons. That is mildly troubling but perhaps explainable. The only thing that makes this less troubling is that the captions are by two different media outlets. Maybe AP is consistent and calling everybody who is looking for food a looter and not just young black males. Either way, as Atrios points out in another post that I'm too lazy to link to, looting is the last thing to worry about right now, whether it be clothes or food. But taking food doesn't exactly feel like looting to me. Given how deadly the media is telling us this storm was, I think taking food is actually called SURVIVAL.

5 Comments:

Blogger Yossarian said...

Be pissed at the AP, not the "media."

Wednesday, August 31, 2005 10:28:00 AM  
Blogger Chill said...

The associated press is the number 1 news organization in the world serving more than "1,700 U.S. daily, weekly, non-English and college newspapers, 5,000 radio/TV outlets taking AP".

Forgive me if I say "the media." I didn't have time to actually articulate the numerous papers (i.e. media) that have shown these pictures and used these descriptions. A recent google news search (AP photo hurricane looter) shows 745 newspapers. Nor did I feel like citing the numerous tv networks that have shown the videos and parroted the descriptions.

Wow, that sounds an awful lot like the media. I guess I was right to use that term after all.

Wednesday, August 31, 2005 10:54:00 AM  
Blogger Yossarian said...

Fair enough. It's amazing that someone at the AP can use incredibly poor judgement in writing the captions and all those papers will not even notice. I think this is less racism than it is laziness which I think is a common criticism of mine and this blog in general.

Wednesday, August 31, 2005 11:46:00 AM  
Blogger Yossarian said...

Chill, chill, chill. You're glib.

Wednesday, August 31, 2005 6:29:00 PM  
Blogger Chill said...

Thanks Tom.

Wednesday, August 31, 2005 7:48:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home