Wednesday, October 26, 2005

REVIEW: I Heart Huckabees


UNIVERSAL REMOTE

I loved David O. Russel's last two films. Flirting with Disaster was hilarious and Three Kings was tremendous. Unfortunately, I Heart Huckabees is a total failure. I'm not going to get into the plot other than it is about Jason Schwartzman hiring "existential detectives" Dustin Hoffman and Lily Tomlin to help him understand a coincidence that has just happened. This sounds interesting, but it is just an excuse for the actors (Mark Wahlberg, Jude Law, Isabelle Huppert and Naomi Watts) to spout near-unintellible dialogue about molecules and how the whole universe is connected and other bullshit. This is a film made for philosophy students by philosophy students. If that's your bag, go for it. I'm sure you will have hours of stuff to talk about while you sit at a coffee bar in your black turtleneck smoking unfiltered cigarettes. For me, I wish I had rewatched Three Kings. In recent memory, I'm not sure I can remember a better cast more wasted than this one. (Please post any thoughts on this.)

And no, TB, Mark Wahlberg was not Oscar-worthy. My initial impression was correct, thank you very much.

2 Comments:

Blogger Yossarian said...

That's because Eyes Wide Shut at least had a lot of nudity.

Wednesday, October 26, 2005 1:54:00 PM  
Blogger Yossarian said...

Actually, I didn't say I liked Eyes Wide Shut more than Huckabees, that would be Jello's husband. But I'll say it now. Even lesser Kubrick is better than this piece of pretentious shit.

Friday, October 28, 2005 1:20:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home