Friday, April 21, 2006

Me Like Mike (Piazza Version)

SPORTING GOODS

It was fun and a little sad seeing Mike Piazza play with his new team versus the Mets last night. He’s having a miserable season so far (.231, I HR, 4 RBI) and has a contract that pretty much guarantees he won’t be back in San Diego next year. (He has an $8M team option for 2007.) It’s clear that all the wear-and-tear of being a full-time catcher for so many years has undoubtedly cut short his brilliant career. I think you have to give credit to Piazza for essentially sacrificing a few years and untold millions of dollars by refusing to become a DH. No offense to all you David Ortiz fans out there, but in my mind, all designated hitters should be a little ashamed of themselves. (My NL bias is clearly showing here.)

Nonetheless, it was funny to hear that Piazza was actually “a little nervous” playing against his old team. I forget sometimes that these guys are susceptible to the same pangs of sentimentality as the rest of us. And speaking of being sentimental, it literally warmed my heart when I read Piazza wants to wear a Mets cap when he is inevitably voted into the Hall of Fame. I look forward to August 8-10 when he returns to Shea Stadium for perhaps the last time as an active player.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home