Monday, August 21, 2006

I'll go next ...

UNIVERSAL REMOTE

I'll admit it, I didn't love "Snakes on a Plane," and there were probably nearly as many things that I could make fun of after walking out of that movie than there were after my least favorite movie of all time, "Batman and Robin."

So why did my jaw hurt from smiling 20 minutes after I left the theater?

Honestly, I wouldn't tell anyone to go see this movie. Because at this point, I think anyone who hasn't seen it has missed the window of opportunity. Every day that goes by this movie will get a little worse, simply because it needs to be seen in a movie theater full of people that are genuinely excited to see it. Looking at the opening weekend numbers, that's not a good sign for the studio.

But I was lucky enough to see SoaP in the perfect situation: 10pm on a Friday with a few friends who were as excited as I was, in the popular Times Square theater, after a long week and a few frosty beverages, surrounded by an excited, loud, hissing crowd that made the movie even more enjoyable.

The plot was laughable, the direction terrible, the acting inconsistent, and the camera work vertigo-inducing, but in the end it was still enjoyable and lived up to the hype. Hell, waiting 80 minutes for Samuel Jackson to say his most anticipated line while the crowd went bonkers was worth it on its own.

But I wonder, even with all the publicity, if Samuel Jackson is asking what would have happened if "Deep Blue Sea" was released in 2006, called "Smart Sharks," and he was given the retort in the following exchange:

Dr. Susan McCallister: As a side effect the sharks got smarter.

Samuel Jackson: You stupid b****!

and then added: I'm tired of these mother f***in' sharks!

Because I don't think "Snakes" has legs. The weekend of August 17th it was an event. But the weekend of September 15th it's going to be a crappy action movie that is ready to close down in most theaters. I'm glad I caught it when it was an event.

Looking forward to the thoughts of any of this site's bloggers that saw the movie with me ...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for the DBS reference. Oft forgot, it is truly a masterpiece. And I think it's "smaaahtah."

Tuesday, August 22, 2006 9:18:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home