Sunday, October 01, 2006

Pedro

Sporting Goods

After little more than a day away from my Mets, I somehow missed a lot. I had the misfortune of learning all about Pedro's shoulder surgery during an otherwise beautiful wedding celebration in the lovely Ocean State. Needless to say, I wasn't all that surprised. Here's an e-mail I wrote on Friday:
Pedro hasn't been Pedro all year. In fact, the Mets actually played better without him. I think he was becoming a distraction so at least now it is settled. I hope he comes back healthy next year but the fact is that he has other health issues apart from his calves. I mean he still has a partially torn labrum in his shoulder. All the more reason the Mets need to get a number 1 starter from somewhere. Too bad that reports say that they don't want Zito.
I've long thought that Pedro's various leg problems (hip, calves, toe) were also being used to cover for a bum shoulder. I'm not happy to learn that it looks like I was right. Anyway, I have to believe that this means the Mets are going to pay for Zito, and pay big.

I hope that doesn't mean that the Mets trade Lastings Milledge. Although reading the NY press, you get the distinct impression that his days as a Met are numbered. Nothing says foolishness like giving up on a 21 year-old because he is "cocky." This is the exact same reason the Mets traded Scott Kazmir. That's worked out well. Back to Milledge, what would you expect. He's spent his entire life being told he's special. Having to learn modesty and humility isn't exactly the worst thing in the world. I hope they give him a chance. Unless, of course, the Mets can trade him for a 25 year-old Cy Young contender. Mr. Willis would look good in blue and orange.

And finally, despite a miserable September, the Mets finished the season tied for the best record in baseball ... with the Yankees. I'm happy already. The Mets have already exceeded all my expectations this season. I hope it continues.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home