Friday, September 01, 2006

Catching up ...

SPORTING GOODS

So, I just got back from a nice six week vacation in the jungles of Costa Rica without internet or cable TV. It was hard going without baseball for six weeks, but when I left the Sox were on fire and held a comfortable lead in the AL East (and over any Wild Card contenders), David Ortiz was ready to accept the MVP award, and Jon Papelbon was crushing any comeback before it could get started.

So I was very excited to see the box score from last night's game (another Win I might add). It seems that in my absence the Sox were able to pull away, and are now toying with the rest of the league. I mean starting a 3-4-5 of Loretta-Youkilis and Lowell, giving Manny and Ortiz a chance to rest? And I see we bolstered the lineup by adding Javy Lopez and Eric Hinske. Nice to have bats like that for the playoffs. Even little Dustin Pedroia is getting a cup of coffee.

And we seem to be resting our starting pitchers as well, I see Julian Tavarez took the mound to start the game. I love it. It's like we're telling the league, "we'll start a lineup made mostly of bench players, use our worst reliever as a starting pitcher, and STILL beat you."

Because the outcome is the same. Alex Cora plays the role of Papi, and Papelbon plays the role of Papelbon, shutting down the once vaunted Toronto Blue Jays. So it's great to be back, I can't wait for that playoff baseball!

Now, to just hit "Publish Post" and go take a look at the standings ...

1 Comments:

Blogger Chill said...

best post ever...?

Friday, September 01, 2006 1:29:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home