Thursday, July 31, 2008

What he's against, cont'd

MANIFESTO

Not that this is exactly new, but the national newspaper of record has apparently finally realized that Senator Septuagenarian's entire campaign revolves around portraying "Mr. Obama negatively, on its own terms, by creating a narrative intended to turn the public off to an opponent."

The bottom line for an old-timer like me is that this is boring. Viz., I've seen enough presidential campaigns (almost invariably run by Republican candidates) that have no more substance to them than an abject plea to "Vote for me because I'm less heinous than the other guy." Perhaps within my lifetime, I'll actually see a campaign wherein both presidential candidates have fundamental policy differences and are willing to articulate them, but I'm certainly starting to doubt it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home