Sunday, June 12, 2005

The Failure of the American Media

Manifesto

I've ranted and raved about the failure of the American media to actually report on anything of substance. I was quick to point to the appalling coverage of the missing white woman and the lack of coverage of Downing Street memo. Others have spoken on the issue far more eloquently than I. But I never really had a reason for it. I thought it was simply because the media is obsessed with ratings rather than news, that the media thinks that it is an organic entity, ignoring the fact that it plays a role in creating the news itself, and therefore what people know and want to hear more about. But after reading this story, I realize that a large part of the problem is that the reporters are simply people who are completely out of touch.

Now you probably wonder how a simple story about the departure of one CNN anchor and the announcement of his replacement could be evidence of the destruction of our media. You have to read deep into the story, to here:
For his June 20 debut on "American Morning," O'Brien -- Miles, that is -- is moving from Atlanta to New York City. He told The TV Column that he's already gotten his kids into schools in New York, "which was a tough hurdle," and they're now "doing the real estate thing," which he called "sobering." He cheerfully predicted he and his family will "wind up living in a refrigerator box under the George Washington Bridge.

"The car service will come pick me up there."
Are you f$#!ing kidding me. He can't find a good apartment in NYC so he is going to live under the bridge. Get it. Luckily CNN is going to send a car for him every morning to take him to work. Whew, I feel really sorry for this clown. Listen, CNN anchor guy, you make money, can afford an apartment in NYC, and have a car service picking you up in the morning. For the love of god, shut the f#$! up. It is no wonder that while I sit here watching the NBC nightly news I'm seeing stories about doggie spas. It is investigative reporting that shows what these as#@!les really care about, and want to know about. These people are using their jobs to investigate how to make their own lives more comfortable. Screw those who can't even afford a pet, let alone doggie spas, or those who can't even find a job. F#$! these people. (Oh wait, now NBC is running a story on super rich Russians. Sorry got to go. It isn't like there is a war going on.)

2 Comments:

Blogger Yossarian said...

I think this is a little strong. I've agreed with many of your past argument regarding the media and their rating-obsession, but I think you're going way to deep here. The guy was being sarcastic. As we all know, sometimes sarcasm doesn't read very well.

Tuesday, June 14, 2005 11:58:00 AM  
Blogger Chill said...

Screw that. Look, if I start bitching about the price of apts in NYC, likely because I'll be looking soon, and I make a sarcastic comment about how I'll be living under a bridge, I would expect anybody who knows me, and would likely know that I was being sarcastic to slap me silly. As sarcasm, it isn't particularly funny. If the media wasn't obsessed with telling me about Russian millionaires, millionaire heiresses, and doggie spas, maybe I'd give the dude a pass, but as part of the larger picture I think it explains a lot.

Tuesday, June 14, 2005 1:18:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home