Friday, June 10, 2005

Widescreen Conan

Universal Remote

For the first time in months I turned on my old favorite show on TV, Late Night with Conan O'Brien, the other night. And I noticed something odd. It was letterboxed. Now I love this. I can't wait to get my widescreen HDTV and be ready to enjoy seeing the seams on a baseball as it travels to home plate, but Conan in widescreen seems a little odd. To be fair it looked cinematic and gave the show a different feeling, but it was one that I wasn't used to. Does anybody know when this happened? I guess Conan just doesn't strike me as a show that even the most die-hard widescreen addicts would clamor for in widescreen. But maybe Conan is just getting the jump on everybody. He is the most innovative voice in late night, right there with Jon Stewart.

2 Comments:

Blogger Yossarian said...

The thing is, if you own a widescreen 16x9 television and a show is not formatted for it, you have to either blow it up (which will cut off the top of Conan's head or stretch it, which is what people usually do and it looks horrible.) The good thing is people are getting more and more used to letterboxing so hopefully more networks will covert their shows by the time I get the HD TV I have been coveting.

So I guess I'm saying that while no one may have been clamoring specifically for Conan to go widescreen, it does mean you can watch him in HD which is awesome.

Friday, June 10, 2005 11:12:00 AM  
Blogger Chill said...

Thanks for the info, O. I wish I could stay up to watch Conan but it just doesn't happen.

Saturday, June 11, 2005 1:07:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home