Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Robo-Umps

SPORTING GOODS

Here's an article about how FIFA is debating whether or not to put microchips inside of soccer balls to confirm whether or not the ball crosses the goal line in the upcoming World Cup.

Assuming the technology works, this could lead to any number of innovations for other sports. As a baseball fan first and foremost, I can't help wonder if this could be used to create the first truly accurate umpire, at least as far as balls and strikes are concerned.

I know purists will probably hate it, and guys like Tom Glavine and Greg Maddux will be forced to retire, but would it really be all that bad if a game were better called by a computer than a umpire? I'm not saying put a machine behind the plate. An umpire would still control the game, instead he would relay the ball/strike calls from the computer.

And think of the statistical information that could be gathered if each ball were outfitted with a chip. You would be able to determine truly accurate readings for pitch velocity, home-run distances, and the torque on Pedro's curveball. You would know how long a line drive was in the air, how far it traveled, and how far an outfielder had to run to catch it thereby creating a real, usable defensive statistic. Of course, my idea would probably be prohibitavely expensive given how many balls are used each game but this is mostly just speculation anyway.

So let's hear it Chill, Darlucky and the rest of you. I know you probably hate this. Gimme your worst.

2 Comments:

Blogger Darlucky said...

If it weren't for the expense, i would say that would be potentially amazing.

they could trot it out during the all-star game and then various spring training games to test it out.

So the real problem would be finding a way to have such a device that does not impact the movement, velocity, or feel of the ball in anyway. In order to do that, I am guessing it would be prohibitively expensive, but it would be cool.

Hey, the computer calls balls and strikes in video games, and guess what, you never get mad at the ump!

Tuesday, June 14, 2005 12:13:00 PM  
Blogger Chill said...

I don't understand why we want the strike zone to be "perfect." I like the umpires. I like being pissed off when the ump blows a call. I like the arguments. I like it when Pedro gets the benefit of the doubt. I like all of those things. I have no problem with evaluating the ump based on some computer rendition of the strike zone to try to hold them all accountable, but I don't want to take the human element out of the game. It makes it fun.

Now if we are talking about replay for homerun call, that's fine and, I think, qualitatively different.

Tuesday, June 14, 2005 12:59:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home