Thursday, June 16, 2005

Two unrelated baseball thoughts

sporting goods

I can't believe the Rangers just let Ryan Drese go. Last year, when I presented my AL Cy Young thoughts, I had him 3rd on my list after Santana and Schilling. I realize he is certainly not the 3rd best pitcher in the league, but how could you give up on someone that quickly?

Well, the Rangers looked stupid last night, when he pitched great to get a 1-0 win, now in a Nats uniform. While the Phillies are busy making stupid moves, the Nats are doing things right suddenly.

Meanwhile, I think the Yankees win last night was a huge one. They were 0-30 when trailing after 8 innings, they get the benefit of a bad call at first to keep the game alive, and then Giambi wins the game by finally doing something besides walk or strikeout. A late rally, a piece of good luck, and a monster shot by Giambi - three things the Yankees have sorely lacked this year.

I realize that they are still 6.5 games back, but this could be the game that gets pointed to as the turning point. And if not, then hey at least the YES network finally has a game they can set aside for future Yankee Classic airings.

1 Comments:

Blogger Chill said...

Rumor has it (see Buster Olney) that Drese is fighting with Steve Blass (or Rick Ankiel for the kids) syndrome. I guess for him it comes and goes. That's got to be really tough.

Thursday, June 16, 2005 3:17:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home