Sunday, July 31, 2005

Ryn-O

Sporting Goods

So I was going to write this post extolling the virutes of Ryne Sandberg and mocking anybody who doubts whether he should be in the hall of fame. Then I realized that his career OPS is under .800. What a complete shock.

I remember Sandberg as the best second baseman in the 80s and early 90s, until Alomar - a no doubt HOFer - came and dominated the position for a decade. (But why did he have to suck with the Mets.) But the stats seem to tell another story. Could it be that I'm becoming an old man, and just like morons like Joe Morgan I think of the players from my youth with too much reverence? I hope not. I still think Sandberg is a no doubt Hall of Famer. Compared to the other second baseman of his generation, he was the best. That alone should get you in the Hall. When you look at the offense, the gold gloves, the 344 steals at a 76% clip, it all comes together to a guy that anybody would want on their team. If you could have any second baseman playing right now, or in his prime Sandburg, who would you take? I think you have to go with Sandberg, right?

2 Comments:

Blogger Chill said...

Yeah. I absolutely think that both those guys are a famers. Especially Biggio. I always wanted to have that guy on my team. That's part of the mark of a Hall of Famer.

Sunday, July 31, 2005 11:13:00 PM  
Blogger Darlucky said...

Interesting.

If I could have the career of any of them, putting it in context with their era of course, I would rank them

1. Biggio
2. Sandberg
3. Kent/Alomar

If the guys at 3 are likely/borderline HOF'ers, I guess that puts me in the Sandberg belongs in the HOF camp.

Monday, August 01, 2005 9:22:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home