Monday, August 01, 2005

I don't get Art sometimes

Whatever

So over the weekend, my parents were in town. In between a trip to our favorite gelato/sorbet place in the city, and a great dinner at the fabulous 'inoteca, we were strolling around the Lower East Side of Manhattan.

I had read in Time Out about what seemed like a very strange art exhibit, that could definitely be amusing. The exhibit included "The New York Dirty Room," which was basically a huge room filled with topsoil from Home Depot. I'll let The Brooklyn Rail explain the second featured exhibit:
“Top Cruise” is an installation of 1,000 (although many have yet to arrive) busts of Tom Cruise (although it doesn’t look much like him) strewn about the gallery floor, several Cruiseheads still wrapped in packing foam.
Maybe the weirdest thing was there were no signs, we had to be buzzed in, and there was no one really watching over anything. So we basically were buzzed in, walked upstairs, stood in an empty room and looked at a bunch of heads, and then left. It sounds like there was more art upstairs, but I think it was weird enough for one day.

If I'm back down there, I might have to stop by to see if the rest of the heads ever arrived. If you're on the L.E.S., and in the mood for some weird, then check it out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home