Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Mea culpa

Manifesto

After reading much more about the devastation and having a good e-mail conversation with reader O, I would like to almost wholly retract my tsunami/hurricane post, instead of the simple strikethroughs I added yesterday. While the death toll may not be anywhere near the same order of magnitude, the devastation is close to if not the worst ever seen in the U.S. New Orleans and Biloxi have nearly been wiped off the map. From my privileged vantage point in New York it was quite easy for me to say it is not the same as the Tsunami, but for those actually living through these horrors, I'm sure it is. This makes the comments of Mayor Holloway all the more appropriate as current estimates are that 90% of his city was destroyed. Thus, for Biloxi, this was similar to the Tsunami, perhaps without the accompanying loss of life. While that does distinguish the two events, and I don't necessarily agree with his quote, there are definite similarities in devastation that shouldn't be denied. I was far too quick to assume Mr. Holloway had one meaning (a deplorable one) when perhaps he intended another (a more reasoned opinion.)

This is one of the pains of blogging. I let my rash emotion get in the way of reason, logic, and understanding. Not every statement made by every person is done so out of ignorance, incompetence, or inconsideration. It was far too cynical of me to jump down Mr. Holloway's throat for his comment. I showed a total lack of compassion and judgment. I'm sorry.

2 Comments:

Blogger Yossarian said...

Excellent. We should all be so responsible.

Wednesday, August 31, 2005 6:17:00 PM  
Blogger Chill said...

Thanks, Moosesox. Neither did we know that the government did nothing to evacuate people other than to issue the evacuation order, which left behind thousands of poor people. Truly the biggest tragedy from this whole story is going to be how our government ignored its responsibility to protect its people. Hopefully, somebody will be accountible.

Thursday, September 01, 2005 2:46:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home