Wednesday, September 28, 2005

My psyche explained

Whatever

A few blogs have pointed out the American Library Association's list of the "most challenged books" of 1990-2000, as in the books that parents, bible-thumpers, and crazies wanted removed from library shelves last decade.

Some of these books are relatively obvious, or at least I had heard of these books being sources of complaint before: Huck Finn, Harry Potter, Catcher in the Rye, Madonna's Sex, Heather Has Two Mommies.

But a number of other books really surprised me, maybe because I just do not remember why they might be controversial. James and the Giant Peach? How to Eat Fried Worms? FIVE different entries from Judy Blume?

I don't read as many books as I should, but from first grade through about seventh grade I was an avid reader. Looking at this list now, I wonder what kind of warped child my parents, and particularly my mother, were trying to raise? I think most books I read were recommended, bought, or brought home for me by my mother, and I can go through this list and count at least 12 that I read by the time I was 13 (and there are probably more that I just don't remember reading).

On a related note, any library that wouldn't carry To Kill a Mockingbird is not a library I would want to visit.

Edited to add: Just kidding Mom (not that I think she's reading). Though I'm still mad you made me read A Day No Pigs Would Die.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your father just forwarded this to me. Guess I'll have to start reading your blog to find out more ways that I've warped you over the years. I'm pretty proud of myself.

Friday, September 30, 2005 11:18:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home