Wednesday, March 01, 2006

The Best of the Best

UNIVERSAL REMOTE

Of the 77 Best Picture winners, I’ve seen 43. (Not bad, could be better.) Here is my ranking of the ten best Best Picture winners. Incredibly, six are from the 1970s. What an amazing decade that was for filmmaking.

Note: All years denote the film's release. They all won Oscars in the following year's ceremony.

1. The Godfather (1972)
My favorite movie ever made and easily the best of the Best. The touchstone film in my movie-watching life. Getting up the courage to shake Coppola's hand a couple of years ago was one of the most nerve-wracking experiences of my life.

2. The Godfather, Part II (1974)
It is inconceivable to think of one without the other. Many think it is better than its predecessor, but I have to rate it a close second. You simply can’t overestimate Brando’s presence.

3. Casablanca (1943)
One of the most entertaining movies ever made. One of the few “classics” that still completely holds up today.

4. On the Waterfront (1954)
Brando's greatest performance in one of the best-acted films ever. His "contender" speech is probably the best monologue ever given.

5. The Silence of the Lambs (1991)
The greatest thriller with the greatest villain in movie history.

6. The French Connection (1971)
All cop movies made since have owed a debt to Friedkin’s gritty masterpiece.

7. Annie Hall (1977)
One of the few comedies to win Best Picture and still one of the funniest movies ever.

8. The Deer Hunter (1978)
One of the most devastating films ever. Emotionally shattering.

9. Schindler's List (1993)
No one thought Speilberg had it in him.

10. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975)
Classic Jack in a classic role.

Other True Greats: Unforgiven (1992), Platoon (1986), The Sting (1973), Patton (1970), Midnight Cowboy (1969), Lawrence of Arabia (1962), The Bridge on the River Kwai (1957), Hamlet (1948)

I'm sorry there wasn’t more room on the bus for these. If there were an extra seat, it would have to go to The Sting. Redford and Newman remain the greatest duo ever.

3 Comments:

Blogger Darlucky said...

I've only seen 31 on the whole list, which surprised me a bit that it wasn't higher, but probably is surprising that it wasn't lower to people who remember that i only saw like 5 movies from 2005.

I've also seen 8 out of your top 10, though I probably need to re-see Annie Hall now that I'm older.

And you've both really made me want to watch the Sting again, as I know my wife hasn't seen it, and I saw it when I was pretty young.

Sergio, I get the feeling this year's winner will not be joining this illustrious group. Maybe next year...

Wednesday, March 01, 2006 2:28:00 PM  
Blogger Chill said...

I've only seen 27, much of which is accounted for by my loathing of musicals. What I'm really surprised about is how few of those 27 would actually make my top ten of all time.

P.S. - The Sting is a great, great movie. Combine with Butch Cassidy and you are looking at one hell of a double-feature.

Wednesday, March 01, 2006 3:27:00 PM  
Blogger Yossarian said...

HA! I've seen ALL TEN films on my list! I can't believe Mouth has seen more than me overall. It's true I've avoided most of the musical entries and almost all of the films before 1950. As for GWTW, I haven't seen it in ages.

And Jell-o, no amount of studying will help with The Quiz!

Wednesday, March 01, 2006 4:21:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home