Monday, April 18, 2005

Comedy Tournament

UNIVERSAL REMOTE

Darlucky has pointed me to the Cinema Comedy tournament over at Norbizness and I am focused like a laserbeam. My first reaction is this is an awesome idea. I took a quick look at the seeding and think they did a great job. My second reaction is the fear that some newer, I-Love-the-80s type of movie is going to win over a true classic. That said, here are the remaining matches and my comments.

Monty Python's The Life of Brian vs. Animal House
Monty should win this, hands down. I've never been a real fan of the Delta House boys.

Some Like It Hot vs. Blazing Saddles
Billy Wilder's more sophisticated comedy should win over Mel Brook's fart jokes but probably won't. My biggest complaint of the whole tournament is that they chose Saddles over Young Frankenstein. YF would very likely have been my overall winner.

Modern Times vs. Dr. Strangelove
Strangelove should take this one easily. Heresy though it may be, Chaplin films lose something every year and Kubrick films get a little better. (And I'll let you in on a little secret, George C. Scott owns, not Peter Sellers.)

The Ladykillers (1955) vs. M*A*S*H
Altman in a walk.

Duck Soup vs. Caddyshack
Here is where my fear will come to fruition. The Marx Brothers are going to lose by 10 strokes to the idiots at Caddyshack. Now if you just cut out all the crap with Michael O'Keefe we'd have a real contest.

Airplane! vs. Office Space
Another possible upset though I think ZAZ will pull it out. A note to voters: Don't do it guys. I know you love Office Space. I know you love to quote it to each other. I know you giggle like little girls when they smash the fax machine. Just remember, Airplane! changed everything. It may still be funniest movie ever.

Annie Hall v. Hollywood Shuffle
How the hell did Hollywood Shuffle make this tourney? I can barely remember a single joke. Annie Hall is an All-timer. Brilliant.

South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut v. Raising Arizona
Absolutely the toughest battle of all but the baby wins by a nose
.

Assuming I have the brackets right, I'm predicting Life of Brian, Dr. Strangelove, Airplane!, and Raising Arizona to make the Final Four with Airplane! beating Strangelove in a squeaker. Hard to complain with that. Well done, gentlemen.

3 Comments:

Blogger Darlucky said...

I guess I should see the nominees that I have never seen, although 3 of those 4, you didn't have great things to say about them.

I picked the Deltas over Life of Brian, because a. I've somehow never seen that Monty Python film and b. the Dartmouth frat boy in me loves Animal House.

I agree with you fully on Some Like it Hot, Duck Soup, and Airplane!, and more importantly I think that all of them were winning early on in the voting. As much as I love Office Space, Airplane! needs to go a long way in this tournament.

And I had to go South Park - you're right, it was the toughest pick of the 8.

Monday, April 18, 2005 1:51:00 PM  
Blogger Chill said...

I've never seen Life of Brian in full, but I'm not a huge Animal House fan.

Gotta Love Some Like It Hot.

The Doc.

No opinion on M*A*S*H* or Ladykillers.

Going with Duck Soup.

Airplane! or Office Space. I love Office Space and if you asked me which one I would rather watch, I would go with Office Space, but Airplane! is an icon, wins in a close one.

Hollywood Shuffle v. Annie Hall. Where the Hell is Groundhog Day?

And I go with South Park over Raising Arizona but would gladly accept the Coen Brothers as my winner.

Monday, April 18, 2005 5:44:00 PM  
Blogger Yossarian said...

You've got to spread the love. Murray was represented by Caddyshack though I agree they should have picked either Groundhog Day or Ghostbusters.

Tuesday, April 19, 2005 1:26:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home