Monday, April 18, 2005

News

MANIFESTO

Just spent the day at jury duty and it took me all of two seconds to catch up on the important news of the day. Now I know not to check my mail because the Ann Coulter Time Magazine will go directly to the garbage, just like my Mr. Bush election edition and Man of the Year edition. Combine Time's soft-ball coverage of Mr. Bush and the Right-wing, with their constant cover stories on Jesus, or the Virgin Mary, or God (which always seems centered on a Christian God...interesting) and I think Sergio is right, my subscription may have to go. I used to think that I had to read these things so I knew how the other side was thinking, but now I think there might be some utility in ignoring them altogether. At least that is what I do with Fox News and Drudge. If all the liberals stopped paging over to Drudge to see what crap he's cooked up in a day, it would bring down his site. Or at least a man can dream.

The other big story is how Lance Armstrong is going to retire after the Tour de France. Look, I admire Mr. Armstrong's courage and recovery and all that he has done for other cancer victims and survivors, but how is it a cover story on CNN that a man who competes in a sport that holds absolutely no sway over the American consciousness, except for the last day of the Tour de France, and then only when an American is going to win, ends up being the story of the day. I'd have to say slow news day, but seriously something more important has to have happened today, right, anybody?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home