Thursday, May 26, 2005

The amazing Marty

sporting goods

Via Hardball Times, I saw this database that lists every hidden ball trick every pulled in the majors. Surprisingly it has only been pulled off once since 2000 (Mike Lowell last year).

I once saw (in person) Marty Barrett pull this feat off against the Angels, when I was young. So I took a look at the list to see if I could find it, and was confounded by the fact that he somehow pulled it off twice in one month against them that season. How can one team fall for a hidden ball trick against the same opponent twice in one month? How embarrassing.

I was able to use retrosheet to determine that it occurred at this game, as the first time he did it was in California. I also just impressed myself by actually remembering, prior to viewing the boxscore, that Reggie Jackson had homered that game, even though I was only 7 at the time.

Marty Barrett was involved in pulling off three hidden ball tricks between 1985 and 1988, out of only 24 times the feat has been pulled off since 1985.

1 Comments:

Blogger Chill said...

Now explain how the Mets have fallen for the fake pickoff to third throw to first move twice already this season...Oh yeah, they stink. Nevermind.

Thursday, May 26, 2005 10:35:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home