Monday, October 17, 2005

REVIEW: Domino


UNIVERSAL REMOTE

Domino is one of the worst movies I've ever sat through. I know most people out there probably already knew this just by watching the trailer, but I like Tony Scott and the film was written by Richard Kelly (who wrote and directed the good but slightly overrated Donnie Darko). I've been a Tony Scott fan for a long time and think he's been doing some very interesting films for the last decade. I love Man on Fire and Spy Game and their rough, kinetic style. But now he's gone too far. Domino is almost impossible to look at. It is so chopped up nothing means anything. Keira Knightley is hot and seems like a nice girl but she's not much of a screen presence. Mickey Rourke's soulful brutality is interesting but that's it. Nothing but a poor man's imitation of Oliver Stone's Natural Born Killers.

Do not go see it.
Do not rent it.
Do not watch it on cable late at night.

I would have left if I weren't sneaking into another movie right after.

4 Comments:

Blogger Chill said...

But Last Boy Scout ruled!

Monday, October 17, 2005 9:06:00 AM  
Blogger Chill said...

"Play some rap music."

Monday, October 17, 2005 10:44:00 AM  
Blogger Yossarian said...

I know you're all being facetious but The Last Boy Scout was actually the end of Scott's "hack" phase. His films since:

1993 - True Romance
1995 - Crimson Tide
1996 - The Fan
1998 - Enemy of the State
2001 - Spy Game
2004 - Man on Fire
2005 - Domino

The Fan and Domino are the only real dogs in this group, but it is clear that Scott has more on his mind than the glossy nihilism that plagued The Last Boy Scout and, to a certain effect, Top Gun and Days of Thunder. (Don't get on my case, I am a true fan of both these films.) Again, Spy Game and especially Man on Fire are terrific films that deserved more attention than they were given at the time of release.

And Jell-o, I think it's kinda cute you know lines from Boy Scout.

Monday, October 17, 2005 1:13:00 PM  
Blogger Chill said...

I know. It is a good list. I just wanted an excuse to show my knowledge of Bruce Willis movies.

Monday, October 17, 2005 1:19:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home